What is Vitiligo?
Vitiligo also called as ‘leucoderma’ is a disease. Most importantly, During this kind of disorder, the system of the body attacks the healthy cells and, in turn, starts affecting the body. White patch on the skin can be symptom . This develops as a result of melanocytes within the skin of the humans. These are the cells that are answerable for the skin pigment melanin. This melanin gives colour to your skin. The white patches appear when the melanocytesare dead. The condition is also termed as leucoderma.
The symptoms may include white spots which are usually pale, patchy areas of depigmented skin appear. Mostly, those body parts that face sun exposure are prone to it. It always appears on hands, wrist and facial areas. Besides, If a white pigmentation is already present on your skin & you get hurt all of a sudden. Thereby developing similar white patches on the skin, then you must immediately visit a doctor. These patches present on the skin are painless and it doesn’t even cause any sensation of itching. But, when exposed in sun, it should cause irritation and even sometimes a burning sensation.
Myth 1: Vitiligo is a result of the incorrect combination of foods
Vitiligo is not necessary to be a result of the incorrect combination of foods. For example, milk consumption shortly after eating fish can achieve the skin problem . Whereas the actual fact is that truly, this skin problem has no link with the diet. It’s illogical to deprive patients of the sour foods like lemon, curd, tomatoes, and pickles within the hope of declining the chance of the disease.
Myth 2: People with Vitiligo disorder have less mental or physical proficiencies.
It is not true that People with Vitiligo disorder have less mental or physical proficiencies. Most importantly, this type of disease restricts only to the skin. It’s in no relationship with or doesn’t influence or affect the other organs.
Myth 3: Vitiligo could be a quite leprosy and is communicable.
It is not that Vitiligo could be a communicable disease. Leprosy and vitiligo are two different diseases. It’s not infectious or transmissible and, hence, cannot expire from one person to a different.
Myth 4: Vitiligo is linked with serious skin diseases.
vitiligo is not a serious skin diseases like carcinoma and albinism. There are transparent dissimilarities among each of those afflictions not any of them are linked to this type of skin disease.
Myth 5: Vitiligo is incurable
The treatment of vitiligo is present.. Some drugs, used alone or with light therapy, can help restore some skin tone. Also, Medications like steroids, Ultraviolet A, immunomodulator drugs. Also the newer narrowband Ultraviolet B are accessible, together with several surgical options can also help.
In a way to understand what do people think about the Vitiligo, I conducted a research using the questionnaire method. The results of which are as follows:
- 71% think that Vitiligo is a result of incorrect combination of food, 22% think maybe and just 7% think that no, it is not a result of incorrect combination of food.
- 74% of the respondents think that maybe people with Vitiligo have less mental or physical proficiency and only 19% think that no people with this disease do not have less mental or physical proficiency.
- 72% of the respondents think that maybe Vitiligo is communicable disease and 17 % think that no maybe Vitiligo is not a communicable disease.
- 76% people think that maybe Vitiligo is linked with other serious diseases, 11% were sure about it and 13& think that Vitiligo is not linked with other serious diseases.
- 85% of the respondents think that maybe Vitiligo is incurable disease, 8% think yes and only 7% think that Vitiligo is not an incurable disease.
Outcome of research
It was observed that most of the people think that Vitiligo is a result of incorrect combination of food. Many of the respondents think that maybe people with Vitiligo have less mental or physical proficiency. More than 70% of the respondents think that maybe Vitiligo is a communicable disease. Also, it was observed that majority of the respondents think that maybe Vitiligo is linked with other serious diseases. Majority of the respondents think that maybe Vitiligo is an incurable disease. The reason behind this thinking could be the lack of awareness in people about Vitiligo.
There is little doubt that the treatment is difficult. Most importantly, it takes lots of time and not all patients respond equally. However, it’s important to treat the stigma than the ailment.
Suction Blister Epidermal Grafting: With the utilization of vacuum, the skin is segregated into those with the white patches and also the other normal skin. By using this method, the skin with the colour pigment is placed over the white patches.
• Melanocyte skin cell Suspensions: Here, the white patches are covered with none cut. The skin pigment from the traditional a part of the body is taken out and converted into a liquid form and inserted into the white skin area.
• Melanocyte Culture: After conducting skin biopsy, a little a part of the skin is cultured during a specialised lab, which is then grafted on the affected area.
• Platelet Rich Plasma: After extracting plasma from the blood, it’s treated and injected into the realm with white patches. Plasma has stem cells that help in developing new cells within the body. This system is natural and doesn’t have any side-effects.
Vitiligo is not a communicable disease or something which can be spread by touch. It is a kind of skin disease which can occur at any age and to any gender. Therefore, it is illogical to say that it can pass from one person to the other. Thus, it important to understand that this is a disease which just stays on oneself skin and can be treated. Hence, one should never discriminate or look down upon anyone else facing any kind of disease or health issue.